St. Marys Historic Homes & Businesses

All listings are private unless specified as a business.  If you have any information to add - current or past history, please e-mail me. Thanks!

Places without photos:

Bedell, J.K. - ca 1845 - no photo
Cumberland Island Ferry / NPS (Business: not historic) - no photos - St. Marys St. at the Waterfront.
Rose, Lovell - 1907 or 1912 - Weed St. between Wheeler & Seagrove.
Submarine Museum - no photos - next to Riverview Hotel on St. Marys Street.
Toonerville Trolley, 1920s.  Built by Captain Phillip Hopper (no photos).  On Osborne St. between Dillingham and Conyers.


Arnow, Miller, McClendon, Calhoun - 1834 Corner of Weed & Ready Streets.

Contructed by Joseph Sabastion Montiano of St. Augustine.  Later had several other owners including Alfred  Iverson Miller, the McClendons, the Calhouns, and most recently LouisDiane Register.

 


Bacon, Burns - ca 1830s On Osborne St. next to Sterling's Grocery.

First known owners were Dr. Henry (1802-1873)  & Harriett (Blount Miller Bentham 1802-1862) BurnsSamuel L. Burns (1819-1888) and his second wife, Maria Osborne Bessent Burns (1838-1923), then purchased the house.  After S.L. Burns' death Howard Rudulph bought the home.  In  the 1970's the W.L. Stucki family restored the house.


John R. Bachlott, Sr. - 1800s  St. Marys and Wheeler Streets.

Also spelled as Bachlotte or Bashlott in some listings.  This building is, as of 2001, undergoing renovations.


Bachlott, Porter - 1911 - Corner of Osborne St. & Weed St. Before Restoration


Bachlott, Porter - 1911 - Corner of Osborne St. & Weed St.  After being renovated and looks beautiful!  This photo doesn't do it justice!


Bank of Camden County - 1911 (Business) On Osborne Street next to the Cumberland Island Museum.  Now home to Satilla Business Services.


Bealey, (Frank H. & Rita J.) Brown, Bison - 1906 - Corner of Conyers & Seagrove.


Belle Tara Inn - Corner of Conyers & Seagrove.

Business:  built in the 1980s, but a beautiful house built to fit in the historic district.


Captain Morse - 1905. - On Osborne St. across from the Cumberland Island Museum.

Business:  built in the 1980s, but a beautiful house built to fit in the historic district.


Belle Tara Inn - Corner of Conyers & Seagrove.  [I think there is a mistake somewhere as this house is identical to the one to the left but has the name of the one above???  Amy Lyn Hedrick]

Business:  built in the 1980s, but a beautiful house built to fit in the historic district.


Captain Ratcliff(e), Hopper, Todd, Woods - 1840.  Ballast stone walkway.  Corner of Dill and Ready Streets.


Captain Robinson - Mock - 1918 - Corner of Conyers & Ready.


Collier, Casey - 1874 - At the end of Bryant Street.


Cumberland Island Museum - On the corner of Osborne & Bryant Streets.

Business - The new home of the Cumberland Island Museum in downtown St. Mary's. Highlights include furnishings from the various mansions on the island.


Harris, Dr. Felicia Jordan (Business) - 1928 - Corner of Osborne and Hall Streets.

Clark House Before Renovations
Jackson, Clark, Bessent, MacDonell - 1801 - Before Restoration - Corner of Osborne & Conyers.  Began by Mr. Jackson in 1801, it was completed by new owner Archibald Clark in 1802.  Currently undergoing renovation by new owner - a descendent of Archibald Clark.

1936 Marker states:  In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after a duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian Campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark.


Jackson, Clark, Bessent, MacDonell - 1801 - Before Restoration - Corner of Osborne & Conyers.  Began by Mr. Jackson in 1801, it was completed by new owner Archibald Clark in 1802.  Currently undergoing renovation by new owner - a descendent of Archibald Clark.

1936 Marker states:  In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after a duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian Campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark.

Clark House Before Renovations
Jackson, Clark, Bessent, MacDonell - 1801 - Before Restoration - Corner of Osborne & Conyers.  Began by Mr. Jackson in 1801, it was completed by new owner Archibald Clark in 1802.  Currently undergoing renovation by new owner - a descendent of Archibald Clark.

1936 Marker states:  In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after a duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian Campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark.

Clark House After/During Renovations
Jackson, Clark, Bessent, MacDonell - 1801 - Before Restoration - Corner of Osborne & Conyers.  Began by Mr. Jackson in 1801, it was completed by new owner Archibald Clark in 1802.  Currently undergoing renovation by new owner - a descendent of Archibald Clark.

1936 Marker states:  In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after a duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian Campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark.

Clark House After/During Renovations
Jackson, Clark, Bessent, MacDonell - 1801 - Before Restoration - Corner of Osborne & Conyers.  Began by Mr. Jackson in 1801, it was completed by new owner Archibald Clark in 1802.  Currently undergoing renovation by new owner - a descendent of Archibald Clark.

1936 Marker states:  In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after a duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian Campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark.


Jeff Davis, Judge Tompkins, Kemp, Long - 1873 - Corner of Conyers & Ready.


Long, Bunkley, Briggs - 1860 - On Weed St. between Osborne and Ready Streets.


Miller, Arnow - 1900 - Bryant St. between Osborne & Wheeler Streets.

Pratt-Gillican House
Pratt, Gillican House - 1820 - corners of Conyers and Wheeler Streets.   Possibly built prior to 1812.  The Reverend Horace Pratt was said to have used this house as a study.  Once located behind Orange Hall across the street from its current location on the corners of Conyers and Wheeler Streets.


Ready, Bryant, Frohock, Lockhart - 1907 - On corner of Ready & Bryant Streets.

Built by combining two separate homes in the 19th century (one from the 1800s, one from the 1900s).  One was already on the property while the other was moved over from an adjoining property.


Riverview Hotel - (Business) - On the corner of Osborne and St. Marys Streets (i.e. the Waterfront Street).

Built for the daughter of Captain Lemuel Johnson, Mrs. Wadley.  It's most famous owners were the Brandon sisters.


Riverview Hotel - (Business) - On the corner of Osborne and St. Marys Streets (i.e. the Waterfront Street).

Built for the daughter of Captain Lemuel Johnson, Mrs. Wadley.  It's most famous owners were the Brandon sisters.


Rudulph, John Joseph - 1870 - Osborne St. between Conyers and Weed.

John J. (1831-1898) and his wife, Eleanor Crichton Bessant (1845-1927) had this house built in the 1870's.  Their son Joseph (1878-1966) resided here until his death.  Following owners included Robert Routh, H.D. Hively and Jerry Whitacre.  Current owners are Fred and Beth Mercier.  This home was intentionally built in the shape of a cross for improved ventilation.


Rudulph, John Joseph - 1870 - Osborne St. between Conyers and Weed.

John J. (1831-1898) and his wife, Eleanor Crichton Bessant (1845-1927) had this house built in the 1870's.  Their son Joseph (1878-1966) resided here until his death.  Following owners included Robert Routh, H.D. Hively and Jerry Whitacre.  Current owners are Fred and Beth Mercier.  This home was intentionally built in the shape of a cross for improved ventilation.


Rudulph, Riggins - 1911 - On Osborne St. next to Bacon-Burns House.


Rudulph, Riggins - 1911 - On Osborne St. next to Bacon-Burns House.


Rudulph, Riggins - 1911 - On Osborne St. next to Bacon-Burns House


Sandiford, Goodbread - 1875 - On Osborne St. next to Rudulph-Riggins House.

Original owner is unknown, but in 1884 Ralph B. Sandiford bought the house.  In 1901, Walter Goodbread (Captain of the Hildgegarde) bought the home and added onto it.  In the 1940's Charlie Smith, Sr. converted the old home into apartments.  Later in 1960's, Eva and Dennis Dixon bought the house and turned it into a boarding house.  Finally, in the 1980's the late Dan and Julie Proctor converted it back into a single family home.  Current owners are Jackie and Don Geismar who not only live in the home but have turned it into a bed and breakfast and made it open to the public!

Sandiford, Goodbread - 1875 - On Osborne St. next to Rudulph-Riggins House.

Christmas 1999

Original owner is unknown, but in 1884 Ralph B. Sandiford bought the house.  In 1901, Walter Goodbread (Captain of the Hildgegarde) bought the home and added onto it.  In the 1940's Charlie Smith, Sr. converted the old home into apartments.  Later in 1960's, Eva and Dennis Dixon bought the house and turned it into a boarding house.  Finally, in the 1980's the late Dan and Julie Proctor converted it back into a single family home.  Current owners are Jackie and Don Geismar who not only live in the home but have turned it into a bed and breakfast and made it open to the public!


Spencer House (Business: Bed and Breakfast) - 1872 - On corner of Osborne and Bryant Streets.

First owners:  William T. & Harriet Louise Spencer ($3,600).  Following owners:  Stephen A. Spencer, Dr. Daniel J. (Mary M. Burnett) Long (1830-1902), Mrs. Lizzie Mae (Caleb Madison Sr.) Westberry, & current owners Mary & Mike Neff.

Spencer House (Business: Bed and Breakfast) - 1872 - On corner of Osborne and Bryant Streets.

First owners:  William T. & Harriet Louise Spencer ($3,600).  Following owners:  Stephen A. Spencer, Dr. Daniel J. (Mary M. Burnett) Long (1830-1902), Mrs. Lizzie Mae (Caleb Madison Sr.) Westberry, & current owners Mary & Mike Neff.


Spencer House (Business: Bed and Breakfast) - 1872 - On corner of Osborne and Bryant Streets.

First owners:  William T. & Harriet Louise Spencer ($3,600).  Following owners:  Stephen A. Spencer, Dr. Daniel J. (Mary M. Burnett) Long (1830-1902), Mrs. Lizzie Mae (Caleb Madison Sr.) Westberry, & current owners Mary & Mike Neff.

Sterling's Grocery - 1896 - Corner of Osborne & Weed.

Sterling's Grocery - 1896. Business:  oldest business in continuous use in St. Marys.  Built by D.C. Sterling to hold the business he began in 1880.  The older photo used to hang inside the store.  The late Mr. Sterling allowed Tara Fields to copy it for this web site.  You can see the dirt street and the open spaces between the buildings!


Stone, Bunkley, Guy - ca 1800 - On Ready St. between Weed and Bryant Streets.  Captain Ed Stone was the original owner.


Strotesbury, Captain Lemuel Johnson - On the corner of Osborne & Bryant Streets.  Business:  Blue Goose Collectibles - 1821


Tom Hawkins, Jim Banks, Aldridge - 1880 - Corner of Conyers & Ready.

Townsend, Prescott - 1912
Townsend, Prescott - 1912 - Bryant St. between Wheeler & Seagrove.

Washington Pump and Oak Tree
Washington Pump and Oak - Osborne and Conyers Streets.

Washington Pump

 

 

 

 

 

Washington Pump and Oak - Osborne and Conyers Streets.

   
   

 

Home     Contact      Site Map
 Copyright ©GlynnGen.com 2003-2012 All Rights Reserved
  
Material on this site is one of kind, having been published here for the first time ever. This data was compiled by Amy Hedrick
  for the GlynnGen website to be used for your personal use and it is not to be reproduced in any manner on other websites or electronic media,
  nor is it to be printed in any resource books or materials. Thank you!

Want to make a contribution?

Donate via PayPal: