This institution has a unique history. Mrs. Theodore Crovatt,
mother of Judge A.J. Crovatt is clearly entitled to first mention
in connection with this institution. She originated the thought.
Was president of a society of ladies changing from time to time.
She was active and
indefatigable in soliciting subscriptions for many ears.
John J. Spear,
an old Brunswickian, gave the site for the hospital, naming but one
condition, that there should be a Blain ward perpetually maintained
to perpetuate the memory of Dr. J.S. Blain, who had always been an
active supporter of a hospital.
In the period from
1880 to 1890 the corner stone was laid and work progressed as
subscriptions were received.
The panic of 1893
suspended active work, but not the earnest efforts of Mrs. Crovatt
and the ladies who were her coadjutors. So many ladies at at various
times devoted their personal efforts, that it would be invidious to
mention a part and omitting any, and we therefore content ourselves with
saying that this hospital enterprise was preeminently the work of the
patriotic women of Brunswick.
returned work was renewed. The ladies appealed to the mayor and
council to take over the hospital. The title was passed upon and the
mayor and council of the city took over the title and appropriated during
Judge Crovatt's term as mayor, a large sum of money.
Crovatt's exertions, a large sum was donated by the Jekyl Island Club.
The ladies held a
hospital fair from which a large sum, exceeding $5,000, was raised.
subscriptions came from individual members of the Jekyl Island Club and
from other sources.
The work was
renewed and prosecuted under the control of the mayor and council, of
which Lee Robinson was chairman. Morton Marie was
chosen as architect.
The building was
rapidly carried to completion, wards equipped, and the total result is one
of the finest hospitals in the South.
Dr. G.W. Blanton,
one of Brunswick's leading practitioners, is the surgeon in charge.
proudly point to this institution with pride as peculiarly the patriotic
work of the women of Brunswick, and all who have participated in this
noble work have cause for deepest gratification over the complete success
which has crowned their efforts.