January 1867 -- John duBignon gave his sister
Catherine Amelia (duBignon) Hazlehurst the
western one half of Old town Lot number 335. Glynn County Academy
still owned the eastern half.
1871 -- Glynn County Academy sold one half of Old Town Lot
number 335 to Robert Hazlehurst Sr. for $25.00.
There was no dwelling listed on the deed. In 1890, the Brunswick
City Directory list Dr. Robert Hazlehurst as living
on the property. This is the earliest record of a house on the
property, but one could have been built earlier.
October 1891 -- Robert Hazlehurst Sr.
sold the entire block of property of 3 Wright Square to his son, Robert
Hazlehurst Jr., for $5000.00. Dr. Hazlehurst
Sr. moved to Memphis, Tennessee.
I could not find any deed listing the
sale or transfer of the property between Catherine duBignon
Hazlehurst, who had owned the western half, and Robert
The property was bound on the east
side by Norwich Street, west side by Egmont Street, north side by Howe
Street, and on the south by Wright Square Drive North. The northern
half was divided into two properties. Each lot measured 90 feet wide
by 180 feet deep. The southern half, Wright Square Park, was bound
by George Street on the south.
September 1895 -- Dr. Robert Hazlehurst
Jr. sold 3 Wright Square to Mrs. Carrie L.
(Scarlett) Verdery for $2200.00. He later moved to Memphis, Tenn.
October 1900 -- Mrs. Carrie L. Verdery
sold Old Town Lot 335 (3 Wright Square) to Mr. Nathan
Emanuel for $7500.00.
January 1929 -- Nathan Emanuel sold 3 Wright
Square to his wife Daisy (McIntosh) Emanuel. The deed
states, “That the first party for and in consideration of love and
affection which he has for and bears to the second party, his wife, hereby
grants, bargains, sells…” There is no price on the deed.
In 1930 Mr. Emanuel
was Mayor of Brunswick and Chairman of the Board of City Commissioners.
1932 -- Tax Lien was held against Mr. Nathan
Emanuel for the State, County, and School Taxes for the year 1931.
Mr. J. E. Register, Marshall of the City of Brunswick, stood on the
steps of the Glynn County Court House and sold the northern half of Old
Town Lot 335. The original price of the Lien was $160.23 and with
taxes and various fees, the total amount was $177.69. The sale of the
northern half was enough to satisfy the Tax Lien of $177.69. The
property was sold to the City of Brunswick.
August 1932 -- Tax Lien for State, County, and School Taxes
for the year 1931 was issued against Daisy Emanuel, the
owner of 3 Wright Square, for $149.50. For sale was the southern
one-fourth of the eastern one-half of Old Town Lot 335. After
advertising, taxes and other costs, the total tax levied against her was
$172.69. Mr. R. S. Pyles, the Sheriff of the City of
Brunswick, sold the property during a Sheriff’s sale on the steps of the
County Court House. Glynn County purchased the property.
October 1934 -- Nathan Emanuel Sr.;
his daughters Daisy Emanuel and Virginia Emanuel;
his son Nathan Emanuel Jr.; and Ellen
Emanuel Robinson signed a loan for $2366.97 using 3 Wright
Square for collateral. The monthly payments were $18.72. The
loan was from the Home Owners Loan Corporation.
October 1939 -- Nathan Emanuel, Harry
K. Emanuel, Nat. Emanuel, Jr., Daisy Emanuel
Lewis, Ellen Emanuel Robinson, and Virginia
Emanuel, all of Glynn County, defaulted on a Secure Deed loan to
the Home Owners Loan Corporation. The principal of the loan for Old
Town Lot 335 was $2366.97 on Oct 16, 1934. With interest at 5% and a
monthly payment of $18.72, when they defaulted on the loan, the amount
owed was $2250.00. After the Sheriff’s advertisement in the
Brunswick News, once a week for four weeks in a row (October 7, 14, 21,
28), 3 Wright Square was sold in fee simple (free and clear) to the Home
Owners Loan Corporation.
1940 -- Mrs. Mary Joanna Wade
bought 3 Wright Square from The Home Owners Loan Corporation.
She paid $2669.75 for the two story house and the land it sat on, half of
the northern half of Wright Square.
The Queen Anne style home was two
stories, wood sided and painted white with black trim with a front porch
that wrapped almost three quarters around the house. The porch had eight
foot wide concrete steps on three sides with
walkways to the street made of the same octagonal concrete stepping stones
that are found on the downtown sidewalks today.
were three high archways at the top of the stairs in the front going onto
the porch. On the front of the second story was a porch that looked
approximately 15 feet wide and 8 feet deep. This porch had banisters
but was later screened.
The home was later divided into two
apartments upstairs for rentals and two downstairs, with the larger area
in front for the main residence. The three apartments had full
kitchens and living spaces and private baths. The main residence had
a formal parlor with a fireplace and two large ceiling to floor windows in
front. Huge sliding pocket doors divided the parlor from the dining
room. The floors were wood strips about three inches wide and
varnished. Linoleum was laid in the kitchen and dining room and a
floral carpet covered the formal parlor floor. The large dining room had
a fireplace and a quilting frame hung from the ceiling to be pulled down
when needed. There were two bedrooms, the main one made from a sun
room to the east side of the house and the smaller one was to the west
side of the dining room. A large kitchen sat behind the dining room and a
coal bin was under the back stairs from the kitchen. Outdoor stairs
on the east side of the house gave access to the second story, as well as
a staircase inside. All walls were painted white; there was no wood
paneling in the house. It was fitted with gas jets, but Mr.
Wade replaced them with electricity in 1939. The one bathroom
had a deep tub with claw feet and there were no closets in the house.
Joanna's husband Jud (a
carpenter by trade), built a small rental house in the large dirt
courtyard behind the home that faced Egmont Street; a large tool house for
himself; and a three car garage with an apartment over it. The garage
apartment faced the back of Glynn Academy.
1952 -- Even though they did not want to lose the property,
Joanna Wade sold 3 Wright Square when the city wanted to buy
the northern half to build a junior high school. 3 Wright Square
was sold for $42,900.00, all structures on the northern half of Wright
Square were torn down the second week of February 1953. The school was
opened in 1954.