John McIntosh Revolutionary Patriot Glynn Co., Georgia

John McIntosh

Born around 1748, he was the son of William & Mary McKay McIntosh and the grandson of John Mohr McIntosh who was the commander of the Scotch Highlanders at New Inverness, now known as Darien.

John served throughout the Revolutionary War first as Captain of the First Georgia Regiment on 7 January 1776, then as Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant of the Third Georgia Regiment on April 3, 1778.  On 3 March 1779, John was wounded and taken prisoner at the Battle of Briar Creek.

In recognition of his valor of defending Fort Morris in Sunbury, McIntosh was awarded a sword with the words "Come and Take It" engraved on the blade.  These words were spoken by Lt.-Col. McIntosh when Lt. Col. Fuser of the British Forces demanded Fort Morris' surrender, and McIntosh told him to come and take it!  Fuser reconsidered his demand, and retreated.

John McIntosh married Miss Sarah Swinton in the year 1781.  Sarah was a native of South Carolina, and after the war was whisked away to Florida to establish their home on the St. John's River.  On a visit to St. Augustine, John was arrested and sent to Moro Castle at Havana, accused of "designs against the Spanish Government".  After a year imprisonment, he was freed with the help of President Washington and friends.

After his "parole", John and the misses moved to St. Simons.  Sarah, who had been blind for many years, died here on 9 May 1799.  It is rumored that her grave is located in a secluded spot on what was once known as the "Village".  After Sarah's death, John married Agnes Hillary, widow of Christopher Hillary, John's son William married Agnes' daughter Maria.

During the War of 1812, John served as a general and was in command of three regiments of infantry and a battalion of artillery for the protection of Savannah and coastal Georgia.  During this conflict, McIntosh marched his troops over a thousand miles through wilderness to Mobile, Alabama, when the British threatened the Gulf Coast.  He was honored with a letter of gratitude from the Mayor of Savannah, and the City Council adopted resolutions of thanks for his gallant service.  John McIntosh died around 1826.



Home            Contact          Site Map
 Copyright ¬© All Rights Reserved
Material on this site is one of kind, having been published here for the first time ever. This data was compiled by Amy Hedrick
  for the GlynnGen website to be used for your personal use and it is not to be reproduced in any manner on other websites or electronic media,
  nor is it to be printed in any resource books or materials. Thank you!

Want to make a contribution?

Donate via PayPal: