The Brunswick Times &
The Brunswick Times-Advertiser



To easily find your ancestor's name, wait for the page to completely download, then press the CONTROL and F key,
or go to the top of your screen and click on the drop down menu under Edit and then Find or Find on this page.

Legal matters were repeated for 30+ days.  I only transcribed the first instance of the article in many cases,
as it was an exact reporting in each paper, and needlessly repetitive here.


12 March 1889

Pg 4 Col. 5

        Five torpedoes were placed by some mischievous person on the street car track near the Oglethorpe hotel, and when exploded by car No. 5 greatly alarmed the people in the nearby neighborhood.


Friday, 5 July 1889


            The condition of Miss Annie O'Connor, who has been very ill for sometime, was considered very critical last night.  It is to be hoped that there will be a change for the better this morning.


            But one accident of anything like a serious nature happened yesterday as far as we could learn.  It occurred early yesterday morning, and Mr. P.J. Calnan was the victim.  It came in the shape of an explosion of a cannon cracker in his hand, and burned the member pretty badly; Dr. Bottsford dressed it, promptly, which had the effect of relieving the pain.


Tuesday 3 September 1889


            At the residence of Mr. J.R. Williamson, step-father of the bride, near Jamaica last Sunday (Sept. 1, 1889), Mr. W.E. Laughinghouse and Miss Annie Timmons were united in matrimony, Rev. W.E. Porter officiating.

            Sunday afternoon, at the residence of Mr. H.C. Smith, near the city, Rev. H.B. Treadwell performed the ceremony which made Mr. W.M. Liptroll and Miss Ada Ratcliff man and wife.  There were only a few friends and relatives of the contracting parties present at the marriage, which was very quiet.


            Brunswick's police force is on the lookout.  The officers have good reason to believe that John Richards, the Woolfolk witness, is still in the city.  It is probable that every nook and corner of the city will be searched by the officers.  It is to be hoped that they will be successful in their efforts to secure him.


            Before Justice Coker, yesterday, the negroes arrested by Constable Levison Sunday (Sept. 1, 1889) had their trial.  They were Alex Roberts, Sandy and Grace Berien, Tom and Charlotte Roberts.  They were charged with having stolen a drove of turkeys from Mr. Stafford Burney, who resides near Sterling.

            Justice Coker bound over Alex Roberts and Sandy and Grace Berien to the next term of the county court.  The other two were dismissed.


            Simon Ellis, colored, who works at one of the docks in the city, had his left leg broken yesterday.  Ellis was engaged in moving some lumber, when the pile fell down on him, crushing his leg quite badly and breaking it just above the knee.  Ellis was taken to his home near Dixville and a physician was called in who set the fracture and left the man doing as well as could be expected under the circumstances.


Wednesday 21 February 1894—The Brunswick Times-Advertiser

Pg. 4 col. 2

SALE CONFIRMED—The Elegant Oglethorpe Belongs to Brunswick Man.

            Judge Crovatt returned from Macon yesterday afternoon, where he had been to look after the confirmation of the recent commissioners sale of the Oglethorpe Hotel, as purchased by Mr. J.E. duBignon.
            The sale was confirmed and the new owners are now in possession of the magnificent property.
            Immediate steps will be taken looking to the securement of a lessee who will operate the hotel all the year round, and when its doors are thrown open again it will be continually operated.
            Brunswick is to be congratulated upon the final termination of this extended litigation, and the fact the property has been purchased with a view to Brunswick’s good.

Pg. 4 col. 3

POLICE NOTES—Items From the Court, the Beats and the Barracks of the Blue Coats.

            G.J. Neal, the Acre saloonkeeper, had a little room upstairs over his bar and, last Sunday, several sailors went there and rank beer.  The police heard about it, Neal was tried and convicted, and is now in jail to serve out a sentence of $75 and ten days’ imprisonment, imposed by Mayor DunwodyNeal says he will not pay the fine and will work it out on the streets.
            Alex Helgren’s case, owning to the illness of a witness was again postponed this morning until Saturday.
            Hugh Holland, the gentleman from Cork, who enlivened Bay street yesterday afternoon, was sober enough this morning to plead guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct.  He got $10 or 30 days.
            Alex Hartison, a one-legged man charged with swearing on the street, was sentenced to $8 or 30 days.
            Willie Zant and Joe Jinks, two small negro boys, who fought a duel with bricks on Monk street yesterday afternoon, were sentenced to a good whipping by their mothers under the supervision of the chief of police, in default of which they will pay a fine of $6 each.
            Messrs. J.R. Minehan, Charles Goodbread and Walter Goodbread were before the court charged with disorderly conduct.  According to the evidence introduced Mr. Goodbread cursed Mr. Minehan, and Mr. Minehan knocked Mr. Goodbread down.  The affair happened at Minehan’s stable last night.  Mayor Dunwody discharged Mr. Minehan and fined Messrs. Goodbread $8 each.
            Joe Quinn got $10 or 30 days for engaging in a row with his wife.


Monday 5 March 1894—The Brunswick Times-Advertiser

Pg. 4 col. 2

STOLE THE DOG—Some party has taken off Mr. R.R. Holtzendorff’s large mastiff.  It was in Mr. Hardy Turner’s keeping, and has disappeared from his sight.  Mr. Turner says he knows who took the dog off and intends to get it back, or prosecute the party.


Wednesday 4 April 1894—The Brunswick Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 7

REOPENED GRAVES—The Sewerage Shovels Strike Against Human Bones—Ghastly Finds at the Egmon [sic] Street Excavations—The Spot an Ante-Bellum Cemetery, Antedating Oak Grove.

            When the muscular negroes who take orders from Contractor Tate drove their spades deep into the soft earth on Egmon [sic] street, at the point where it borders Wright square this morning, they did not think they were digging into the secrets of a city of the dead, but that was nevertheless the case.
            Consequently, when at a depth of about four feet, one of the men turned up several human bones, he did not sing carelessly like the grave-digger in “Hamlet,” but his expression was one of mingled fear and astonishment.
            The excavations went on, however, not hindered at all by the gloomy evidences of man’s decay which were unearthed with almost every spade full of dirt, until a good-sized heap of bones were dug out.
            Contractor Tate, not knowing the past history of that plot of ground, thought his sewerage work had been the means of discovering the remains of some aboriginal people, who had thronged this peninsular long before such things as mains, pumping wells and surface drainage were dreamed of.
            The history of Wright square and the streets and lots surrounding it is however, an ample explanation of how those human bones got there, and why it was possible for a gang of workmen, in broad daylight, on a public thoroughfare, and in the midst of a populace such an eloquent reminder of that dead Past which lies always just under the surface of the sunny Present.
            Wright square was a public burying ground before Oak Grove cemetery was laid out.  It was at the time when the suburbs were unsurveyed woods and when only that portion of town lying along the Bay was at all populated.  Some of the pioneers of Brunswick’s municipal history were buried there.  When Oak Grove cemetery was opened, a large number of remains were disinterred and removed to the new burying ground.
            Finally, it was abandoned entirely, the mounds became level with the earth and for a long period, up to about ten years ago, only one solitary tombstone remained standing to mark the former uses of the ground.  This tombstone soon shared the fate of the others and was removed.
            Then, the city chaingang, under command of Captain Lewis Harris, went to work to modernize the cemetery and convert it into a park.  The surface was graded to a depth of from one to two feet, leaving pedestal-like mounds about the roots of the oaks.  This grading of the graves of course brought the bones of the dead nearer to the surface—but, it also robbed the square of its horror to the superstitious and its gloomy suggestions to all who passed that way.
            But, although the mounds and the tombstones were gone the evidences of man’s mortality remained, and the history of the spot will be brought back to the recollection of man by these discoveries unearthed by the sewerage shovels.


Monday 23 July 1894—The Brunswick Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 4

THE MANAGERS—A List of Those Who Will Conduct the Primary.

            At the meeting of the executive committee of the Democratic party of Glynn county recently held providing for the primary election for county officers to be held on the 26th day of July, 1894, it was resolved among other things that the chairman of the committee appoint the managers to hold the election at the several voting places.
            The chairman reposing special confidence and trust in the gentlemen hereinafter named, and felling assured that any candidate will receive perfect justice at their hands has announced the following appointments and requested that each of them act:
            Brunswick precinct—W.F. Symons, C.D. Ogg, R.D. Meader.
            Sterling precinct—Charlton Wright, Lewis Gill, J.H. Clark.
            Sapp’s Still precinct—E.M. Bailey, A.B. Wrenn, A.A. Barney.
            Everett City precinct—Frank L. Wilson, J.H. Keil, W.A. Heidt.
            Jamaica precinct—B.F. Lewis, Jas. A. Lowe, Ed Manoe.
            Livingston’s precinct—T.A. Livingston, R. Knight, J.R. Williamson.
            St. Simon Mill precinct—Willie Postell, James D. Gould, W.H. Shadman.

A NEGRO SHOT—The shooting of Conductor Nelson had hardly been made known last night when a negro brakeman on the same train, Sam Brantley, of Albany, was shot in the hip by one of the drunken negroes on the train.  Very little information can be had of the particulars, but it is supposed that he was trying to quiet down some row.  His injury is said not to be fatal.


Thursday 4 October 1894—The Brunswick Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

A NEW LINE—Brunswick now has Three Regular Steamship Lines—The Volusia will Run Regularly Between Brunswick, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.

            The steamship Volusia, of 651 net tonnage, and officered by Captain Marshal [sic] and Second Officer Robert Charley, arrived in port yesterday afternoon from Philadelphia via Jacksonville and is at Wheelwright and Co.’s wharves.
            The Volusia is a trim ship, with passenger accommodations, and has an interesting history.
            Up to two weeks ago, she bore the name of Oceana, and flew the British colors, running between Liverpool and the West Indies, on a regular schedule.
            Two weeks ago, the ship was bought by the Philadelphia Steamship Company.  Her name was changed to Volusia, the British jack was hauled down and the Stars and Stripes unfurled from the peak.  An entirely new crew was put on.
            Then the owners decided it would be [a] good idea to use their new acquisition on a new line, and thus the Philadelphia, Brunswick and Jacksonville steamship line originated.
            The Volusia is now on her first trip.  She left New York Tuesday, Sept. 25, and got into the gale which disturbed the coastwise vessels last week.  Capt. Marshal [sic] put into Hampton Roads for safety.
            After the storm, the Volusia went on to Jacksonville and reached Brunswick from the port yesterday afternoon.
            A. T.-A. reporter went on board the steamship this morning.  Capt. Marshall [sic] was not on board but with the polite and accommodating Second Officer Robert Charley, the reporter had an interesting conversation and was shown over the vessel.  The Volusia has large freight capacity and an elegantly fitted cabin with clean and comfortable staterooms adjoining.  The passenger accommodations are commodious and neat.
            The Volusia’s purser is Mr. Andrew Massalya, an efficient and accommodating officer.
            Officer Charley told the reporter that the Volusia would touch at Brunswick every ten days, on the return trip to Philadelphia from Jacksonville.
            She will take either freight or passengers and will sail tomorrow with her first cargo from Brunswick, consisting of crossties from Wheelwright & Co.
            Mr. Coates, of Jacksonville, who will be general agent at this end of the line is on the Volusia.

Pg. 1 col. 7

HEALTHIEST MONTH—September Goes Back on Its Record in Mortality.

            September, which has always been the unhealthiest month in the year in Brunswick, has gone back on its record and, by the mortuary report, becomes the healthiest month of the year.
            Health Officer H.M. Branham and City Sexton C.G. Moore furnish the TIMES-ADVERTISER with the following complete mortuary report for September:
            WHITE—Infant of M.J. Martin, male, stillborn, Greenwood [Palmetto?] cemetery.
            Infant of Broughton, female, stillborn, Palmetto.
            E. Manor, male, 59 years, angina pectonis, Palmetto cemetery.
            A.J. Ussery, male, age 32, consumption, Oak Grove cemetery.
            Infant of George Pettigrew, male, age 2 months 14 days, marasmus, Oak Grove cemetery.
            COLORED—Infant of Sarah Jane Swell, male, stillborn, Greenwood.
            Infant of Rachel DeLang, male, stillborn, Greenwood.
            Infant of Anna Pollard, male, age 5 days, convulsions, Greenwood.
            John R. Scott, male, age 30, killed by machinery, Greenwood.
            Samuel Grant, male, age 9, cerebral congestion, Greenwood.
            Omitting the stillborn infants and accidental killing, the number of deaths is reduced to six, a splendid record for September.


Monday 11 February 1895—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

            A FIGHT IN THE ACRE—Jim Simmons, colored, got into a difficulty with George Ponder in Ponder’s saloon in the Acre Sunday morning at 3 o’clock.  Simmons went to Officer Lofton and had Ponder arrested, claiming that he had been hit on the arm with a hot poker.  Ponder got $10 or thirty days in police court this morning.

Pg. 4 cols. 1 & 3

            John Baxter, a negro living in Dixville, went out fishing last Thursday, the day before the freeze, and it was reported yesterday that he had not yet returned.  He had provisions and water enough to last one day.  Baxter had no family, and lived alone.  Several negro fishermen who went out today will make a search for him.

JEWELRY STORE ROBBED—The Thief Left His Walking Cane As a Reminder of His Call.

            Mr. A. Rothschild’s jewelry store, on Bay street, was entered through a back window Friday night.  A dozen gold rings and several pairs of cuff buttons were stolen.
            The thief left a walking-cane in the store as a reminder of his call.  On the cane was carved the initial “D”.
            A negro went to Nathan’s pawnshop establishment today and offered to sell one of the rings stolen from Mr. Rothschild.  No notice had been given the pawnbroker of the theft, so the negro was not arrested.


Tuesday 12 February 1895—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

RING THIEF CAUGHT—He Tried to Sell the Stolen Property in the Acre.

            Officer Wilchar last night captured Peter duBignon, the negro who burglarized A. Rothschild’s jewelry store last Friday night.
            duBignon was in the Acre trying to sell the stolen gold rings for 75 cents each.  He also tried to sell them at Nathan’s.
            The name given by the burglar fits in nicely with the initial “D” on the stick which he left in the store after robbing the showcases.
            He was locked in the county jail.

Pg. 4 col. 1

            The men who went to look for John Baxter, the negro fisherman who is supposed to have been drowned or frozen during the blizzard of Thursday night, report that they found no trace of him.  He has been given up as drowned.


Wednesday 13 February 1895—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 6

GOT THE GANG—But the Leader Escaped—Officer Wilchar’s Work.

            Arthur Howe and Matthew Goodman, colored, were arrested in the Acre last night by Officer Wilchar.  They were detected in the effort to sell some of the rings stolen from Rothschild’s jewelry store and were locked in the county jail to keep company with Peter duBignon, the first member of the gang who was captured.
            Car Foster, the leader of the quartette of burglars, escaped arrest.
            The men were evidently in some sort of an organized gang, and a number of recent robberies can probably be traced to them.  They will be bound over for trial on charges of burglary.


Sunday 28 April 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 5

A SHIP BURIED IN SHELLS—An Interesting Discovery on St. Simon Island—Our Correspondent in the Party—Bones of the Long-Dead Crew—The Ruins of Shadman’s House.

(St. Simon Correspondence Times-Advertiser.)

            Bent on a tour of investigation the writer, in company with two good oarsmen, launched forth at sunrise just as the surf gave token of young flood, and we soon spun around the point and floated up the beautiful Fredericka river.  Long before high water we were at the divide in Buttermilk sound.  There we took a small stream leading to the northeast, and very soon we were sailing down one of the most lovely rivers on this point of the coast, Hampton, and in full view of beautiful Butler’s Point.
            The beauty of the river bluff, the grand old oaks crowned with “Resurrection” ferns and draped in Spanish moss with festoons reaching to the grass-covered ground, waving to and fro with every passing breeze; the old tabby ruins and high-reaching chimneys embowered in clinging vines, make a picture well worth the journey to see.
            We were attracted by various depressions in the natural soil of the bluff which led to an investigation, and imagine our surprise to find projecting from the walls and among the shells sections of human skeletons, among which were fragments of Indiana potter, arrow heads, etc., which clearly prove the bones to be skeletons of the noble Red Man that roamed the forest in the long-ago.
            But our astonishment was greatest when we found, just below but in the same bluff, encased in the shells, at least one-half of a ship of an ancient model, not in perfect shape or perfectly formed, but unmistakable  The woodwork was in better condition than the iron.  There were fragments of tools an dishes and just enough of the bones to show that along with the old ship, was a part of the crew that manned her, buried six or eight feet under shells and earth.  Who can tell but that, in ages past, St. Simon was the bottom of the sea, and that this ship went down with all hands aboard and none were left to tell the tale?
            We passed on down the river and in a few minutes we were in front of Cannon’s Point, the home of W.R. Shadman.  It makes one sad to see the old foundation and chimneys standing, marking the spot where stood the handsomest spot on the Island, all swept away by fire.
            Soon we were at the north end of Long Island, the most charming water on this part of the coast to those who love the sport of fishing.  In less than one hour we had all the fish we wanted, considering the fact that we had made our plans to return “outside,” which we did after many hardships among the breakers and sharks.
            More anon.


Thursday 30 May 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 4 col. 4

AFLOAT WITH FIVE WOMEN—How Old Man George Morris is Fleeing from Justice.

            Old man George Morris, of Latham’s Hammock, indicted by the grand jury yesterday for raping his step-daughter is fleeing from justice in a sail boat, and is being pursued by three of Sheriff Berrie’s deputies in a steam launch.
            Morris has with him in his flight five women, who lived with him at his isolated home at the Hammock.  He left on Monday, and sailed by the inland route in the direction of Savannah.  It is thought he has a very good start on his pursuers, Messrs. J.T. Lambright, Emmett Taylor and J.W. DenbyMorris is said to be well armed, and will doubtless make stubborn resistance if overtaken.
            The details of the crime with which Morris is charged are too revolting for newspaper publication.  The indictment names Mattie Hutto, now Mrs. Mattie Gelow, as his victim.
            Mr. Frank Higginbotham joined in the search, leaving on the launch Sassacus this afternoon.


Friday 31 May 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 2

THEY DID NOT CATCH HIM—Deputy Sheriff J.T. Lambright, Constable Emmett Taylor and Bailiff J.W. Denby returned late yesterday afternoon on the yacht Titanis, from their search through Turtle river and its confluent streams for old man Morris.  They saw no trace of him, but learned, after they returned, that they had started on the wrong trail, the old man and his fleet of three boats having sailed in the direction of Savannah.  Frank Higginbotham and Detective Wiggins, who left yesterday afternoon on the launch Sassacus, have not returned yet.  They intended following the inland route to Savannah, and it is believed will catch their man, as Morris cannot make much headway with his three boats overloaded with women.  The old fellow carried only three days’ rations.


Sunday 2 June 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 4


Frank H. Wilson
, 33, malarial fever, 25th.
Calvin Mazo
, 3 months, inanition, 28th.
Infant of Ward Lang, 17 months, convulsions, 17th.
Fred Elias
, 26, congestion of lungs, 28th.
Male 4; Total 4.

Infant of Henry Dent, m., 2 days, convulsions, 3d.
Charles Harmon
, m., 4 months, enterocolitis, 9th.
Laura E. Troup
, f, 36, diarrhea, 10th.
Dorothy Myers
, f., 7 months, convulsions, 10th.
Eliza Blount
, f., 13, consumption, 11th.
—— Kelsey
, 24, nephritis, 13th.
Child of Dora Peterson, m., 1, enterocolitis, 14th.
Emma Williams
, f., 14, menstrual disturbances, 18th.
Evelina Meraidy
, 8 months, f., diarrhea, 22d.
Jere Hutchins
, 8 days, convulsions, 22d.
Willie Robertson
, 7 months, malnutrition, 24th.
Infant of Berry Douglas, 5 months, bronchitis, 28th.
Infants of ——Tomlins, 3 months, enterocolitis, 26th.
Male 6, female 8; total, 14

Ah Sam
, 53, consumption, 13th.
Male 1; total 1.

Male, 11; female, 8.  Total, 19.  Death rate, 15.8.

Pg. 4 col. 6

OLD MAN MORRIS CAUGHT—His Fleet Was Captured at Darien Yesterday—He is in Jail and His Female Companions Are Held Under Guard—Where is Higginbotham and Wiggins?

            Captain Fred Gustafson, the gallant commander of the Angie and Nellie, sighted old man George Morris’ fleet near Darien yesterday morning and followed his three boats up the river to where they landed, at one of Darien’s lower decks.
            Sheriff J.B. Blount of McIntosh was notified, and, with deputies, went down and pulled the whole flotilla, women and all.
            Capt. Gustafson and Sheriff Blount both telegraphed Sheriff Berrie of the capture yesterday afternoon.  Sheriff Berrie was on St. Simons, and Deputy Sheriff Lambright received the telegram.
            Morris is in jail and his female companions are held for advices from this city.
            An officer will be sent at once to bring the old man back to Brunswick for trial.
            The launch Sassacus, which went in search of Morris with F.S. Higginbotham and Detective Wiggins on board, has not been heard from.  They are doubtless in the vicinity of Savannah.  Constable Taylor will go to Darien, Monday.


Friday 14 June 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 4 col. 3

BADLY BEATEN—Barber Charles Clark the victim of a Belligerent Mob.

            A sensational side scene of the bankers’ banquet at Hotel St. Simon [sic] last night, came to public notice this morning when Charlie Clark; the popular colored barber, and member of the firm of Shaw & Clark, was brought home on the Pope Catlin, beaten into semi-insensibility and with his head and face in a state of decided pulpiness.
            Two conflicting stories are told of the affair which terminated thus unfortunately for the tonsorial artist.
            The one which Clark himself tells is that he went to St. Simon [sic] under appointment from Colonel Kay to attend to and serve the wine for the Bankers’ banquet.  When he took his place in the hotel he was ordered out by the head-waiter and told that the regular force of the hotel would attend to serving the wine.  Clark refused to evacuate, and a fight was imminent then and there, but was averted by the interposition of a peacemaker.  Clark stuck to his post and saw that the bankers got their refreshments in proper shape.
            This morning at about daybreak, when he started to board the boat for home, Clark says the force of hotel waiters mobbed him and beat him cruelly and savagely into the aspect of annihilation he now presents.
            Another story, which comes from the hotel, is that Clark himself was belligerent and intoxicated, and brought on the fight by cursing the head-waiter.
            Tom Floyd, the cook on the Pope Catlin, saw the fight, and says six waiters ‘ganged” Clark, overpowered him and beat him as stated.
            Clark is now at his home, receiving medical attention.  He is delirious and generally regarded as in a pretty bad fix.
            G.A. Shaw, Clark’s partner, will take the matter before the grand jury, where the whole truth of the fracas will doubtless be learned.


Tuesday 18 June 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

            THREE BOYS MISSING—Three small boys, one of them Kenneth, the son of Mr. Alfred Green, left yesterday morning in a sail boat for South Brunswick, on a plum hunting expedition.  They did not return as expected last night and a party was out searching for them unsuccessfully today.  It is feared they were caught in yesterday’s gale and drowned.


Wednesday 19 June 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 4 col. 1

            Barber Charles Clark is at his post again, after several days’ confinement from the severe treatment he received at the hands of the mob of St. Simons waiters.

Pg. 4 col. 2

            The three boys who were reported yesterday as being probably lost in the gale while on the way to South Brunswick in a small sail boat, returned safely last night.  They had gone up Turtle river to escape the full force of the blow.


Monday 7 October 1895—Times-Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 2

FREEDMAN’S REST RESTLESS—A Wild Negro Terrorizes the County Precincts—With a Winchester and a Bowie Knife, Runs the Negroes Into Their Houses and Carves Up a Boy.

            Lawlessness broke forth at Freedman’s Rest, six miles from Brunswick, Saturday night, in the person of Morris Polite, a negro, who, armed with a Winchester rifle and a bowie knife, struck terror to the hearts of all the negroes in that section of the county.
            There was a big colored supper in progress at Freedman’s Rest, where Polite made his appearance on the scene.  He made his entrance with this startling announcement:
            “Whoop!  I’m Jesse James come to life.  I’m the best man the lightning ever flashed on.  Get out of my way!”
            It is needless to say that Polite soon had full possession of the supper-room.  Just as an example of his capabilities, however, he fell on a boy, 17 years old, and carved him up almost to mincemeat, with his formidable knife.  The boy’s body was a horrid example of murderous butchery when Polite got through with him.
            The terror then went through the settlement, declaring red-handed murder and punctuating his remarks with bullets.  The supper was forgotten, and all the citizens were in their houses, behind barred doors.
            Polite then made his way to Phillips store at Evelyn, and proceeded to run all the customers away, repeating his blood-curdling challenges.
            In the meantime, two of the Freedman’s Rest people had ventured out, and came to the city for an officer.  They reached here at 3:30 a.m. Sunday, and awoke Deputy Sheriff Emmett Taylor, who returned with them to capture the desperado.
            After a lengthy search Polite was found, at daybreak, hidden in an old loft at Dent’s plantation.  He made no resistance, and Deputy Sheriff Taylor brought him to the city, locking him in the county jail, where he now is.
            The boy who was cut is in a very precarious condition, his life being despaired of.  He was gashed up in a terrible manner, and it is very probably that Polite will have murder to answer for at the next Superior Court.  The cutting was absolutely without provocation.


Thursday 12 March 1896—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

TO WED THIS AFTERNOON—The wedding of Miss Lula Dart of this city and Mr. Joseph Myers of Leliaton will occur this afternoon at 5 o’clock, at the residence of the bride’s parents.  The wedding will be a quiet one, only immediate relatives and friends of the parties attending.  Rev. Ed F. Cook will officiate.

THE GROOM’S PARTY—Mr. J.N. Horne, the popular traveling man of the Downing Company, entertained at dinner at Wallace’s today Messrs. Joe H. Myers, A.A. Myers and W.C. Myers, of Leliaton; George M. Myers, of Tifton, and C.E. Frijer of Pinebloom.  Mr. J.H. Myers is the groom in the Myers-Dart wedding, which occurs this afternoon.  Wallace entertained the party royally and the occasion was a pleasant one.


Friday 13 March 1896—Times Advertiser

Pg. 4 col. 3

MYERS-DART—The Wedding of Mr. Joseph Myers and Miss Lula Dart Last Night.

            At the residence of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Dart, last night, Mr. Joseph H. Myers, of Leliaton, Ga., and Miss Lula Dart of this city, were united in marriage, Rev. Ed. F. Cook officiating.
            It was a pretty home wedding, the residence being tastefully decorated, and a happy company of friends, relatives and immediate friends attending.
            The young couple left last night for an extensive bridal tour, and will make their home at Leliaton.  They have the best wishes of a host of friends.
            The following is the list of presents received:
            Mr. C.F. Gray, Waycross, set silver spoons, knives and forks; Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Moore, silver sugar shell; Miss Ruby Dart, silver cup and saucer; Mr. Claude Dart, silver pickle stand; Judge F. Willis Dart, silver pitcher; Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Symons, set silver teaspoons; Mr. and Mrs. Horace Dart, silver butter dish; Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Parker, lamp; Mr. and Mrs. Duncan Wright, silver ice cream spoon; Misses Evelyn and May Dart, silver vegetable spoon; Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Gray, silver butter dish; Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Horne, silver fish fork; Mr. W. Merchant, sugar shell and butter knife; Mr. C.E. Fryer, silver sugar shell and set teaspoons; Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Dart, set silver tablespoons; Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Sharp, Waycross, set silver teaspoons; Miss Wrench, Miss Alice and T.W. Wrench, silver syrup pitcher; Edwin Dart, silver napkin ring; Dr. R.E.L. Burford, silver sugar dish and dozen silver spoons; Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Osborne, half dozen silver coffee spoons; Mr. Ernest Dart, silver vegetable fork; Dr. and Mrs. I.N. Bishop, silver syrup pitcher; Charley, Ivan and Eyla Dart, silver pin; Miss Maud G. Burns, silk cushion; Mrs. J.E. Moore, gold ring; Miss Morton and Miss Lou Morton, silver sugar shell; Miss Bessie Lambright and Willie, silver butter knife; Messrs. A.A. and W.C. Myers, silver mounted carving set; Mr. and Mrs. Edwin C. Tuper, silver gravy ladle; Mr. F.M. Dart, silver cake basket; Mr. W.W. Timmons, Tifton, cut glass and silver berrystand; Mr. H.L. Covington, Waycross, carving set; Mr. Henry P. Gray, French clock; Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Pearson, silver pickle stand; Mrs. G.W. White, toilet set; Miss Cates, fascinator; Mrs. J.C. Moore, silver thimble; Mr. Fred Symons, banquet lamp.


Monday 11 May 1896—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

COLORED PEOPLE EXCITED—Prof. J.C. Prince Receives a Letter Warning Him to Leave Town.

            The colored citizens of the city are all worked up over a [illegible] letter received by Prof. J.C. Prince, the well known colored school teacher.  The letter in question was read in the African M.E. church Sunday, and created quite a sensation.  It state in substance that his presence was no longer desired nor would it be tolerated in this city, and that unless he immediately took his departure, he would be the central figure in a “neck-tie party;” that the colored people of Brunswick had no further use for him; that they meant business and would surely carry the threat in the letter out if he refused to obey its mandate.  It gave no reason why he was to leave or meet an untimely end if he did not, and was signed “The colored citizens of Brunswick.”
            In conversation with a representative of THE TIMES-ADVERTISER Prof. Prince stated that he was very much surprised at receiving such an epistle, and was at a loss to explain the motive of the senders unless it was jealousy or religious prejudice.  Being a member of the Methodist church and teaching school here, it seems as though the Baptist people did not like the idea of their children being taught by him, and a great many were drawn away from his school on that account.
            He further stated that if he was guilty of any crime it was the duty of his enemies to have him arrested and brought to trial, and not seek cowardly methods, thinking that he intended to turn the matter over to proper authorities to see if they could ferret out the author or authors of the letters.
            So incensed are the better class of colored people of the city that a meeting has been called for Wednesday night at Odd Fellow’s hall, for the purpose of condemning and disclaiming all knowledge of the letter and its authors.  The meeting will be presided over by R.H. Johnson, M.D.

AGAIN BEHIND THE BARS—Frances Gazaway Once More Gets Herself in Trouble.

            Sol Gazaway’s barroom, on Oglethorpe street, looked as if it had been struck by a cyclone today, fixtures being broken and things generally torn up.
            It seems that Sol sold the fixtures in the barroom to T. Newman, and this so enraged Frances Gazaway, his wife, that she forthwith armed herself with a large beer mallet and started in to demolish everything in sight.  For a time it looked as if she would be very successful in her undertaking but Officers Jerry Wilchar and George Asbell, putting in an appearance put a stop to her wrecking propensities by placing her under arrest and escorting her to the police station, where she will have time to think of her folly.
            The mirrors shattered by the woman were worth $200.

Pg. 1 col. 4

THE NEW ICE FACTORY—Messrs. Baumgartner & Shadman Began Operations Today.

            Brunswick’s new ice factory, Baumgartner & Shadman proprietors, began operations today.
            The factory is located on Grant street, in the rear of the firm’s butcher shop.  Ice has been manufactured there for several years, but only for Mr. Baumgartner’s own use in the meat business.  The capacity has been increased and new machinery put in and this year ice will be manufactured for the local trade.
            A TIMES-ADVERTISER man was shown through the factory by Mr. J.E. Doubleday, who will have it in charge.  The capacity will be two tons per day.  The process of manufacture is very interesting to a novice.
            Mr. Downs’ Mills will have charge of the local delivery.

Pg. 1 col. 5

Waycross, Ga.—William Hardee, colored, was lynched last night by a mob of infuriated citizens of Coffee county at George W. Dean’s turpentine still five miles north of Nichols.  Hardee cruelly mistreated a small white boy yesterday morning, having beaten him so severely that he was obligated to take to his bed.

HIS FIRST FREEDOM—A Negro Who Has Just Received the Benefit of Emancipation

            The New York Recorder has this interesting Georgia story:
            “Truce Wilson, an aged negro convict who was pardoned from the Georgia penitentiary by Governor Atkinson, the other day, is probably the last slave to receive the benefits of President Lincoln’s emancipation proclamation.
            “Wilson was in jail in Liberty county as accessory to a murder when the negro race was set free by the president.
            “He was afterwards sent to the penitentiary, and now enjoys the first breath of free air he has ever known.


Tuesday 12 May 1896—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

BOUND FOR A HOLIDAY—Death and Accident Meet a Crowded Train—Full Details of the Wreck on the F.C. & P—A Brunswick Child Killed, Twenty-six Injured.

            News came to Brunswick yesterday afternoon of a terrible wreck which occurred on the Florida Central and Peninsular railroad at Anderson, a small station nine miles south of Savannah.
            The limited express from Jacksonville, which took on a number of Brunswick passengers at Everett, ran into an open switch.  The entire train was derailed and rolled over.  The switch had been turned and locked, and the switch target was shifted, to deceive the engineer.
            The train was made up of engine and tender, combination baggage and mail car, one second class coach, smoking car, first-class coach and Pullman sleeper, and was running at the rate of 32 miles an hour.
            There were over 200 passengers on the train.  Of this number but twenty-six were among the list of injured, though it is probable that many more received slight injuries and were not included in the list.
            The only fatality was a particularly sad one.  Mrs. S.B. Nathan of this city was on the train with her two children, Louis, the little 3 year-old son, and the baby, 18 months old.  Mrs. Nathan held the baby in her arms.  When the car rolled over little Louis was thrown violently through the window and his body was buried under the overturned car in the mud.  Mrs. Nathan and her baby were uninjured.  A telegram to Mr. Nathan at 5 o’clock yesterday conveyed to him the news of his great bereavement.  He left last night for Savannah.
            Among the twenty-six injured were the following, well known here:
            Ed L. Greer of Lake City, Fla.; arm broken and shoulder dislocated.
            J.D. White of this city; bruised on breast and injured internally.
            C.A. Shaw, the well known barber; finger broken, arm injured and head bruised.
            H.P. Lavin, a merchant of this city; shoulder dislocated.
            All the above were taken to the homes of friends for surgical attention:
            Mrs. W.L. Rogan of this city; shoulder fractured.
            J.A. Bennett, this city; injured in the back.
            Mrs. A.C. Banks, who was going to Savannah to spend May Week with her mother, Mrs. J.S. Derby, was slightly injured.  Mrs. Derby is reported seriously hurt.  Master Bertie Banks was also on the train, but escaped injury.

            THE BODY FOUND—The following special to THE TIMES ADVERTISER from Savannah gives the latest particulars regarding the wreck on the F.C. & P. yesterday.
            SAVANNAH, May 12, 2:45 P.M.—The body of Louis Nathan, son of S.B. Nathan, of Brunswick, was found under a car this morning.  The child was badly mashed, but not beyond recognition.  The funeral of the little fellow will take place this afternoon, the interment to take place in this city.  The injured Brunswickians are all doing as well as could be expected.  Trainmaster Williams, when questioned regarding the accident, stated that it was utterly impossible to account for it.  The report put in circulation to the effect that there were several bodies under the wrecked cars proved to be without foundation, as the only one found was that of little Louis Nathan.  PRESS.

Pg. 1 col. 4

CHASED A FISH THREE MILES—Great Capture by Captain Lassere and Brockington Off the Coast.

            Probably the most exciting piece of piscatorial sport ever experienced in these waters occurred Sunday afternoon off the Brunswick bar.
            The pilot boat Pride, with Pilots Joseph Lassere and Walter Brockington on board, was lying off the bar.  Captain Lassere had a small fish line out, fitted with a small whiting hook.  A “bite” recognized as that of a fish of extraordinary size, soon claimed all of Captain Lassere’s attention.  In order to prevent the breaking of the line and the loss of the prize, Captains Lassere and Brockington leaped into the Pride’s skiff and followed the unknown fish fully three miles to sea.  After this long chase the big fellow was completely tired out and was easily hauled in.  It proved to be a monster shark, exactly 9 feet long and 4 feet 5 inches in circumference.  It was of the man-eating species and one of the largest ever captured on this coast.
            The man-eater was hoisted to the deck of the Pride, measured, and cut open.  It was thrown overboard.
            Altogether it was an exciting fishing experience, and Captain Lassere says he will never forget it.  He exhibited the small hook and a portion of the line on the streets yesterday afternoon.  A small piece of the shark’s fin still hangs on the hook.  Sam Brockington, Jr., has several of the teeth.


Sunday 13 May 1896—Times Advertiser

Pg. 1 col. 3

AN AFFECTING SCENE—Account of the Finding of the Body of the Little Nahtan Child.

            The Savannah News has this affecting account of the finding of the body of little Louis Nathan, at the scene of Monday’s wreck:
            “The mud underneath the overturned car was dug out as soon as the tide ebbed sufficiently to allow the men to work.  For awhile it looked as if the search were fruitless.  Finally a place about four feet square, which had not been disturbed, was found.  Trainmaster Williams and two of the men with him sprang into the water and began to dig.
            “The second shovelful of dirt taken out disclosed to view a little white arm and hand of the child.  The little body was lying on the face, a portion of the dress held in the catch of the car window spring.  The arms were thrown out and folded above the head.  Death had evidently been instantaneous resulting from a blow on the temple, which had left an ugly bruise.
            “The men were much affected by the sight.  The little fellow’s face bore a calm, sweet smile, as though he were asleep.  The mud was washed away and the body wrapped in clean sheets, taken from the Pullman, and brought to the city.  Coroner Goette viewed the body and gave permission for its burial.  The interment took place in the afternoon in Laurel Grove cemetery.  Coroner Goette will hold the inquest this afternoon.
            “Mrs. Nathans, the mother of the little boy, has been frantic with grief since the accident tore from her arms her child, and many sympathizing words were spoken to her from feeling hearts at the funeral.
            The Brunswick people are all improving, the injuries being slight with the exception of those of Mrs. Wm. Lucree and her baby.  They are at the residence of her mother, Mrs. Ellen Stone, at Bolton and Price streets.  Mrs. Lucree is badly injured internally, besides having her arm broken, and thigh dislocated.  The face of her baby is badly bruised.

THEY CAME FROM CUBA—Capt. Raffo’s Family Arrive From the Warring Island to Reside Here.

            The mother, sisters and brother of Engineer J.S. Raffo, of the tug Inca arrived in the city of Brunswick last night from Fernandina, to make their hone in the city.
            They are just from Cuba, having come to Fernandina from the warring island don a British phosphate steamship.  All of their effects were thoroughly disinfected at quarantine.  They are domiciled in one of the Raffo cottages on Carpenter street.
            Capt. Raffo has been expecting them for sometime, but owing to the unsettled state of affairs in Cuba it was difficult for them to get away.

Pg. 1 col. 4

RESPECT TO THE DEAD—City Council’s Called Meeting Yesterday Afternoon.

            The city council met in special session yesterday afternoon, at 6 o’clock, to take proper action on the death of one of its ex-members, Mr. John R. Cook.
            The following are the official minutes:

            CALLED MEETING, BRUNSWICK, May 12, 1896}

            Present—Hon. Harry F. Dunwody, Mayor, and Aldermen Mason, Fendig, Atkinson, Downing and Taylor.
            Absent—Aldermen Reed, Abrams and Osborne.
            His honor, the mayor, feeling referred to the death of Mr. John R. Cook, ex-mayor pro-tem and alderman of city, and stated that his object in calling the council in special session was for the council to take proper steps to be represented at his funeral.
            MOTIONS—The following prevailed:
            That the mayor and council attend Mr. John R. Cook’s funeral in a body.
            That a special committee of three be appointed to draft suitable resolutions to his memory.
            Aldermen Atkinson, Mason and Downing were appointed on said committee.
            That ex-Mayors Colson, Lamb, Crovatt and Spears be invited to attend.
            Council adjourned.  L.C. BODET, Clerk of Council.
            Mr. E.O. Elliot returned today from Savannah, where he participated in the interstate clay pigeon shoot.  Mr. Elliot made a fine score.
            Gaynon, the boilermaker and blacksmith next to the steam laundry, keeps busy.  When he is not working in iron he spends his time working on his new sailboat, which, he says, will carry off the first prize on Fourth of July.


Tuesday Morning, 8 February 1898


            Judge Sam Atkinson convened a term of city court yesterday for the purpose of disposing of criminal cases.
            The following were the cases tried and adjudged:
            George West, larceny from the house, not guilty.
            George Simpson, simple larceny, guilty.
            Charlie Stewart, simple larceny, discharged.
            Fred Cooper, assault and battery, discharged.
            Jim Polite, larceny from the person, not guilty.
            W.N. Thomas, misdemeanor, nolle prosequl.
            Jerry Hayward, larceny from the person, accusation changed.


Wednesday Morning, 9 February 1898


            Yesterday was the 8th of February--a day with a special significance to a circle of Brunswick gentlemen who, whenever that date comes round, are wont to enjoy a unique celebration.  It is the birthday of Dr. F. Joerger.
            Last night the sixty-first of these birthdays was celebrated by the genial doctor, in his accustomed style.  About thirty gentlemen gathered at his home and enjoyed a feast that was pleasurable in the highest degree.
            The unanimous wish of the company was that the doctor would celebrate many more such anniversaries, and that he might always have the congenial association of each of them around his birthday table.


            The Misses Maurice came up from Jekyl Island last evening, and are at the Oglethorpe, the guests of Miss Josephine du Bignon.


Thursday Morning, 10 February 1898

            Mrs. Ellen M. Dart and Miss Katie Dart have been quite ill for the past few days at the Pennick house.

            The police authorities have stopped the erection of the Scarlett building, in the rear of Krauss' bakery, on the ground that it is in violation of the fire ordinance.


            In the Nelson grammar school yesterday, Nick Brown, one of the pupils, was sent to the board to work an example in arithmetic.  He failed to get the correct answer.  When the time came to exhibit the work to the teacher, Brown rubbed it out, and reported that he had worked it correctly.
            Henry Waite, another pupil, informed his teacher that Brown was deceiving her, as he had failed to get the correct answer.  Brown took offense at this, and, reaching over from his seat, struck young Waite in the face.  Waite rose to return the blow, when Brown drew a knife and stabbed his schoolmate just under the eye.
            The gash was an ugly one, and missed depriving Waite of his eyesight only by one inch.  Miss Griffin called the other teachers, and Waite's wound was attended to.  In the meantime, Brown ran out of the schoolroom and made his escape.
            Superintendent Orr says Brown will be expelled.  Whether Waite's parents will institute criminal proceedings is not known.  The wound may prove serious.


Tuesday Morning, 15 February 1898


            It was announced yesterday that Dennis Jones, the St. Simon woman who was shot five times by John Curry, her lover, on Friday (Feb. 9, 1898), was improving, and that contrary to first expectations, her recovery is not believed to be doubtful.


Wednesday Morning, 16 February 1898


            The military idea predominated attractively in the wedding ceremony of last night, at the First Methodist church, which united the lives of Mr. George W. Harper and Miss Stella Vivien Lloyd.
            The Times has told the story of the short courtship of the young couple which last night culminated at the altar--a case of love at first sight, romantic to a degree, and a repetition of the old but ever charming story.
            At 7:15 o'clock the wedding procession entered the church.  Down the aisles came the ushers, Sergeant Wiggins and Corporals Doyal and Fain.  Following the ushers, who came down the right aisle, was Lieutenant Stephens, while Lieutenant Dunn entered by the left aisle.  Following Lieutenant Stephens were the bride and groom.
            The procession passed under a line of crossed guns, held by a squad of ten of the Riflemen, under command of Captain Dart.  After the ceremony the procession passed out by the left aisle, when another squad of ten Riflemen, under Captain O'Brien, of Waycross, held crossed guns.
            The church was packed with a large audience of spectators, and seats could not by (sic) those who came late.
            The wedding march was played by Mrs. Ed. F. Cook.
            The military feature of the wedding was prettily executed.  The Riflemen were perfectly drilled in the unusual duty, and their participancy was a testimonial to their high regard for their comrade, the groom, who was also a sergeant in the company.  The Riflemen gave the bride and groom a handsome and expensive dinner set as a present, which was presented by Captain Dart in a neat speech.
            The young couple will not take a bridal tour but will make their home for the present, at Wallaces, Mr. Harper is one of the rising young business men of Brunswick, and after a long connection with the business of J.J. Lissner, has just entered into business for himself.  His bride, although a comparative stranger to the people of Brunswick, having been here only one month, is sure to make many friends, by her charming personality and many graces.  After the ceremony, the groom entertained the Riflemen with supper at the fair.

            Miss Necie E. Wiggins, of The Times force, received a telegram yesterday, informing her of the serious illness of her mother at Tampa, Fla.  Miss Wiggins leaves this morning for Tampa.

Tuesday Morning, 22 February 1898

            Miss Necie Wiggins will return tonight from Tampa, where she went in response to the intelligence that her mother was seriously ill.


            Ex Consul Jacob E. Dart, who has just relinquished his office at Guadeloupe, has cabled his brother, Ordinary Horace Dart, that he will sail at once for Charleston.  He will reach here in about a month.


Thursday Morning, 3 March 1898


            Ex-Consul Jake Dart brought home with him from Guadeloupe, a native of that island, who has been setting as his servant during his term of office.


Wednesday Morning, 30 March 1898

A HOME WEDDING—Mr. Walter Ames and Miss Mamie L. Mullins (torn up, can’t read)
     Miss Dora Roberts acted as maid of honor, while Mr. Samuel Brockington, Jr., was best man.
     The bride was becomingly dressed in gray silk, with trimmings of white satin and mousseline-de-sole, and carried a bunch of roses.
    After the ceremony a delightful repast was served and the young couple received hearty congratulations and best wishes from those of their friends that were present.


Saturday 4 March 1899

Pg. 1 col. 2


            Hon. Thomas W. Lamb came in from his country place yesterday and brought some gold coins which he and his sons, Mitchell and Courtland, plowed up on his farm.  They were plowing in the onion patch when a $10 gold piece came to light, followed by $5 and $2.50 and a one cent piece.
            These coins are of date about 20 years back and are evidently part of some buried treasure.  When the onions are harvested the search for more gold will be prosecuted.  In the meantime, it would not be safe for anyone to fool around Mr. Lamb’s onion patch.


Wednesday Morning, 3 May 1899


            A dastardly attempt to burn the house of Mr. H.H. McAllister, while nine innocent people soundly slept, was made by unknown parties Monday night.  This inhuman and dastardly crime was attempted after the house had been robbed of $225 in cash.
            A Times reporter investigated the case yesterday and the story gained was thrilling in its reality.
            It seems that Mr. McAllister had the savings of several months in his bedroom on the upper floor of his two story residence.  During the night his house was entered, the money slipped from between the mattresses beneath him, and then the robbers, to cover their crime attempted to burn the house in which the family slept.  To accomplish their intended work, the robbers literally flooded the lower floor with kerosene oil and threw burning paper over different parts of the various rooms.  Oil was soaked everywhere and on the oil cloth matting of the dining room door it stood in pools.  By providential interference, it seems, the fire lit paper refused to burn and the house was saved from destruction.
            Mr. McAllister, his wife, and seven children were sleeping upstairs and evidently chloroform was used to keep them from waking.  Mr. McAllister is one of Brunswick’s best citizens and as far as is known has not an enemy in the world.  The entire community will join in the hope that the perpetrators of this attempt against him will be speedily caught and dealt with.

            Miss Annie O’Connor leaves this morning for St. Simons, where she will be a guest of the wedding of Miss Nettie Childs and Mr. Haywood Dudley tonight.


Thursday Morning, 4 May 1899


            The account in yesterday’s issue of The Times, telling of the robbery of $225 from Mr. H.H. McAllister’s home and attempt to burn his house and nine sleeping inmates, sent a thrill of horror through those who read it.  All day expressions of deep indignation against the perpetrators of such and outrage were heard and if the guilty person or persons are caught the law will deal heavily with them.
            Striking coincidents connected with the case developed yesterday.   It seems that within the past eighteen months Mr. McAllister has been robbed three times.  Strange to relate, each time the robbers have entered his house without leaving any trace of how they entered or made their exit, not leaving even so much as a footprint.  Each time they have robbed Mr. McAllister of money which was concealed near his bed, yet they have never disturbed anything else of value.  The pouring of kerosene oil on the lower floor and attempt to set fire to it on Monday night is a new departure, however, and no efforts will be spared to apprehend the guilty.  The police are on the case but as no trace of the robbers was left the task in catching them is a difficult one.


            Fire last night destroyed one small house and partly destroyed two others on the upper part of Monk street.  They were the property of J.S. Morris, of Augusta, who is represented here by Brobston, Fendig & Co.  The houses were insured for $800 in the Queen of Atlanta; represented through the agency of Mr. H.H. Harvey.


            Dr. R.E.L. Burford, on account of illness, has been granted a ten days furlough from duty at the quarantine station.  Dr. M.A. Wilson, of Savannah, has been sent down as surgeon in charge.  Dr. Burford is at his home on Egmont street and his friends are gratified to know that he is improving.


Friday Morning, 5 May 1899


            A horrible crime has been committed in Glynn county within the past week.  One man has been badly beaten, two women have been driven to the swamps for days and one man has been killed.
            The story, as it reached The Times yesterday, is as follow:  John Alden, a white man living at Bellvista, who works at J.A. Sapp’s saw mill, and John Bird, a Negro who lived near by, went to Everett on Saturday last.  Both drank heavily and commenced to fight.  Alden was badly beaten by Bird and to save his life, Alden was taken away from Bird’s terrific assaults and locked up out of harm’s way.  Bird then returned to Bellvista, swearing vengeance against Alden.  On reaching Alden’s home, Bird drove Alden’s wife and a young lady visitor out of the house with threats.  The terrified women ran to the swamps pursued by Bird, but escaped from him.  They remained in the swamps from Saturday night until Monday.  On Monday morning Alden reached home and began a search for his family.  He found them and brought them home.  On Tuesday morning Bird, the Negro assailant was found in the woods dead with a gun shot wound through his head.  No further particulars were received last night.  An investigation will probably be held.

LABORER BADLY CRUSHED—HENRY WILLIAMS IS CAUGHT UNDER FALLING CROSSTIES—Henry Williams, a laborer on the Mallory Dock was crushed under falling ties yesterday morning.  He was working on the day gang and a lift of eight ties fell directly upon him.  His injuries are considered very serious and may prove fatal.


Sunday, 7 May 1899


            At the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Childs, Miss Nettie Childs and Mr. C. Hayward Dudley were quietly married on Wednesday evening last, Rev. Father P.J. Luckie of Brunswick performing the ceremony.  The bride charmingly gowned in white organdy and carrying a bouquet of white roses entered on her father’s arm.  Miss Bessie Fox and Miss Mamie Mitchelson stood as bride’s maids, carrying large bouquets of Marechal-niel roses.  The groom entered with his two brothers, Mr. J.B. Dudley and Mr. E.B. Dudley.  Only the immediate family and friends were present.
     After the ceremony the young people were given an elegant reception at the home of the groom’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Dudley, where all went merrily.  Many handsome and elegant presents were received by the young couple, and showers of good wishes fell upon them from all present and many absent friends, who were there only in spirit.
     Mr. and Mrs. Dudley will go to homekeeping immediately in a pretty little cottage on the island.


Saturday 30 June 1900

Pg. 4 col. 5

NEGRO DAY AT THE FAIR—A Fine Program Has Been Arranged for the Occasion—PROF. W.H. COUNCIL ORATOR—Will Deliver an Address to the Colored People of This Section of the State

            The mid-summer fair of the Southeastern Fair Association will close this evening, and the last day, in point of attendance, promises to be the best of the week.
            This is Negro day, and every colored person in this section, as well as many from other counties, will go to the fair grounds and take in the sights. Everything is in shape, and none of the exhibits will be moved until next week. The colored people will have a chance of seeing every feature of the fair, and too a special program has been arranged for their benefit.
            Prof. W.H Council, of Alabama, will deliver an address to his race, and it is predicted that there will be several thousand within the sound of his voice. The colored orator is truly a wonder and those who have heard him, say that he will surpass Booker Washington. Many of the white people of Brunswick will go to the fair grounds for the sole purpose of hearing Prof. Council speak.
            All of the program which has been carried out this week will be in effect today, with the exception of the Fifth regiment band, which left for Atlanta last night. The Glynn cornet band will furnish music for today. They will be assisted by several out-of-town organizations.
            There will be two games of base ball [sic] played today, between Savannah and Brunswick. One will occur in the morning and the other in the afternoon.
            The new colored military company of Brunswick will make it’s first appearance in the parade today.








Home           Contact         Site Map
 Copyright © All Rights Reserved
Material on this site is one of kind, having been published here for the first time ever. This data was compiled by Amy Hedrick
  for the GlynnGen website to be used for your personal use and it is not to be reproduced in any manner on other websites or electronic media,
  nor is it to be printed in any resource books or materials. Thank you!

Want to make a contribution?

Donate via PayPal: